In Alabama, driving under the influence is defined as driving with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of:
- 0.08% or more.
- 0.04% or more in a commercial vehicle.
- 0.02% or more, if you are younger than 21 years old.
DUI Penalties in Alabama
The consequences and penalties you’ll face after being arrested for and convicted of a DUI will come from both the court and the Alabama Department of Public Safety(DPS).
The court and AL DPS penalties you may face are as follows:
- For a 1st offense of a DUI, you may receive:
- Up to 1 year in jail.
- A fine of $500 to $2,000, plus a charge of $100 for the Impaired Drivers Trust Fund.
- A driver’s license suspension for 90 days.
- Required attendance at a DUI treatment and education program.
- For a 2nd offense, you may face:
- 48 hours to 1 year in jail.
- 20 days of community service.
- A fine of $1,000 to $5,000, plus a $100 fee for the Impaired Drivers Trust Fund.
- A driver’s license revocation for 1 year.
- For a 3rd offense of a DUI within 5 years, you may face:
- 60 days to 1 year in jail.
- A fine of $2,000 to $10,000, plus $100 for the Impaired Drivers Trust Fund.
- A driver’s license revocation of 3 years.
- For a 4th offense or subsequent offenses within 5 years, you may face:
- Prison time of 1 to 10 years.
- A fine of $4,000 to $10,000.
- A driver’s license revocation for 5 years.
Your penalties may vary depending on the circumstances and severity of your DUI.
- I hired Mr. Norman to finish my divorce. I was finally treated as if my case mattered. He was very responsive to my needs and did what he said he would do. I was treated very well and although this was one of the roughest times of my life, I am finally divorced and received custody of my children. I am very greatful, and would recommend this office to anyone needing a divorce attorney.Cameron Jones – Child Custody Client
- Trey has helped me not only get the time that I was losing with my daughter, but also put confidence back into me that i had a case. He was very understanding and gracious with my case and took me seriously, and stood up for me when I needed him too. And though my case isn't yet over, I'm thrilled with the results that Trey was able to provide so far. I believe I will be continued to be happy with the results as my case closes. Choosing Trey Norman firm was the best decision made. I would definitely recommend him to everyone!James Smith – Divorce Client